The National Park of Wielkopolska was created on April 16, 1957 pursuant to a regulation by the Council of Ministers, the area within its borders was 9600ha, and 5100 was to be administered by the Park. In 1996 a new regulation by the Council of Ministers concerning the National Park limited its area to 7584ha and created a protected buffer zone around the Park. This zone's area, together with the area of the Park, totaled 14840ha. Some areas were excluded form the Park, such as the urban areas of Puszczykowo, Mosina and Stęszew. The National Park of Wielkopolska is located around 15 km south of Poznań and has a very convenient bus and train connection with this city (Poznań- Wrocław rail line), and through Poznań, thanks to many fast trains, also with Warsaw.
18 areas of strict preservation were created within the Park, with a total area of 260ha. They preserve various forms of postglacial landscape and the most pristine flora complexes, as well as the animals living there. The protected area also encompasses 32 tree monuments and an erratic boulder.
The National Park of Wielkopolska is a true tourist magnet, with over a million visitors a year. Five tourist tracks with a total length of 85 km cut through the Park. Those tracks form 7 tourist trails enabling a visitor to learn a lot, not only about the nature, but also about the culture of this region
The Park is home to many monuments. One of the most precious ones is the wooden church in Łódź from the 17th century. Other old churches of a slightly lesser value are to be seen in the towns of Puszczykowo, Stęszew and Wiry.
In the villages of Szreniawa and Trzebaw you can see well-preserved mansions from the 19th century. Another attraction are the ruins of a small castle built in 1827 by Tytus Działyński for his sister Klaudyna Potocka on the Castle Island on Lake Góreckie.